This perfect pink cordial is delicious diluted with sparkling water or added to a gin and tonic for a refreshing drink.
Top tip – put on sturdy gloves to pick your nettles. Only use the tops of young nettles so this recipe is best made in early spring.
200g of freshly picked nettle tops
750ml of water ( some recipes say 500ml I find that too sweet)
40g citric acid
- Check the nettle tops for unwanted bits of grass, twigs or insects. then wash thoroughly and dry.
- Place the sugar and citric acid and water in a pan and slowly heat to dissolve the sugar.
- Heat gently without boiling until the solution reaches 60°C.
- Add the nettles and heat until temperature returns to 60°C
- Remove from the heat and place the mixture in a clean bowl, cover and leave in a cool place for a week – stir every day. You will see the liquid start to turn pink very soon.
- After 7 days filter the liquid and bottle in sterilised bottles or alternatively in plastic containers which can be frozen.
To serve dilute with sparkling water – about 1 part cordial to 4 parts water or add a dash to a gin and tonic. It is also delicious used over ice cream or as an alternative to elderflower cordial in many recipes. Enjoy!